This short video from Education Week brings up many good research and discussion questions:
Here are just a few:
- Should second language classes be immersion style (no first language allowed)?
- Should second language teachers be able to speak the language of their students and/or be familiar with the culture of their students.
- Should immigrants assimilate into their new culture?
- In what ways can immigrants preserve and protect their own language and culture in their new community?
- How can schools deal with any anti-immigrant sentiment in the community?