Three debate topics for the new year, connected to shopping and “stuff”:
- Stores and shops should close on January 1st.
- “Lucky bags” are a waste of money.
- The “otoshidama” age limit should be 18.
- “Osechi” is an old tradtion that should be abolished.
Here are a few articles that may help:
- “A guide to New Year traditions in Japan” (from Japan Today)
- “Japan’s ‘lucky bag’ market is a basket of unknowns” (from Financial Times)
- “2017’s New Year ‘lucky bags’ to offer memorable experiences” (from Asahi)
- “【Lucky Bag Roundup 2017】PPAP inspires a pineapple fukubukuro from Loft” (from Rocket News)
- “200,000 people sign petition calling for shops to stay closed on Boxing Day” (Telegraph)