This short video from The Met explains how different lighting makes us see one famous painting very differently, and probably more as the artist intended us to see it.
It also makes me think of the phrase “bread and circuses”…
and this amazing circus performance I saw on Colbert the other day:
Discussion and writing prompts:
- Have you ever been to a circus?
- Should circuses have real animals?
- How would you explain the concept of “bread and circuses” in Japanese? In your own words in English?
- What do you think are the main “bread and circuses” of today’s society?
- Have you seen the movie “Gaslight”?
- How do you say “to gaslight someone” in Japanese? Can you think of an example from the news, history, or a book, movie or manga you have read or seen, of someone being gaslighted?
- How would you explain the differences between the words “diversion” and “distraction”? Try using both in detailed example sentences.