A “sleeping giant” is what this video calls famously shy George Harrison, the “baby brother” in the Beatles family, explaining the origins of the song “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” and his relationship with the other members of the band:
Which of these versions of the song do you prefer? (There are others, too…)
- George and Ringo, with Phil Collins and Eric Clapton, introduced by Elton John
- a modern video, with the Cirque du Soleil
- Prince and others (including George Harrison’s son, who looks just like him)
- Santana (with India Arie and Yo Yo Ma)
- Jake Shimabukuro on ukulele
Discussion / writing / research questions:
- Do you have siblings? Do you think the youngest in the family usually gets more attention? Is the relationship between you and your sibling(s) harmonious?
- Are you, or is any member of your family, a Beatles fan? Do you prefer the early or later music? Who do you think is the best musician?
- Try doing a little research about the Beatles, or another band you like, to find out more about the members’ personalities or the origins of their songs.
- Look up the lyrics of “While My Guitar Gently Weeps” and do some language noticing (vocabulary, phrases, rhyming).
- What other bands with 4 members (or maybe 3 or 5) do you like? Do you see similar dynamics among the members as that of the Beatles?
- Use a thesaurus to look up synonyms for “shy” and “outgoing”. Which of the words do you think are most useful? Try using them in some original sentences with lots of detail.
- As George Harrison did, try opening an English book to a random page and pick out a word or a couple of words, then use them to make a sentence, a story, or write your own song.
- Have you ever heard of the I Ching (Book of Changes)? If you’re feeling ambitious, try researching it a little and teach us what you learn.