- Choose something about current events to read, watch, or listen to. It can be straight news or an op-ed. Make sure you’re interested in the topic. If you don’t know anything about the topic at all, you should try to read a little about it in Japanese first. If you need help finding a good English-language article to read, ask me for help.
- Cite your source (title, source, date, author if there is one).
- Read/watch/listen once without writing anything down.
- Write down what you remember.
- Read/watch/listen again, stopping once or twice to write down details you missed the first time.
- Put the text away and take your notes from #3 and #4 and make a summary. The summary should contain the main ideas and some key details. Think carefully about which details you think are important enough to add to the summary.
- Write your opinion.
- If you have extra space on the page, fill it with key vocabulary & definitions and good discussion questions.
↓ Here is an example ↓
It’s about the song “Despacito” and “the age of Trump”.
- the article from the New York Times: “The Meaning of ‘Despacito’ in the Age of Trump” (8/4/17)
- the video image is from YouTube
- the cartoon: “Nativism in America Today” (from Soapboxie, 11/7/13)